There are a number of treatments, educational programs, and government agencies that can assist an individual who has Autism Spectrum Disorder. But to qualify you may need a formal diagnosis.


Diagnosis of ASD can be done by a psychologist or neurologist. Here is a list of organizations who offer can perform a psychological evaluation:

In addition, Autism Speaks Resource Guide offers a list of resources including diagnostic assistance.

If you are waiting to get a diagnosis here are some important dates to consider:

  • To qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), the individual’s disability must have been discovered before age 22. Having a formal diagnosis can help in apply for this benefit.
  • To qualify for Regional Center services, the disability must originate before age 18.

Obtaining a diagnosis can be expensive.  Some sources of funding include your private health insurance or some government agencies, such as regional center.