School can be tough.

Many of our parents indicate problems in handling the social pressures and scholastic demands involved in their child’s educational journey. Here are some recommendations:

    • Social Skills – Consider PEERS or some other social skills program to help your child in their interactions with other children. Bully can become a big problem in middle and high school.
    • Tutoring – One-on-one tutoring has been used by many OCASG parents to help their child succeed in school. Below is a list of known tutorial services. 

Find resources in your community

Public Education in Orange County is divided into 28 K-12 School Districts. In addition, if your child has a disability there are Early Education programs for ages from birth to five and educational supports through age 22. To get the most resources for your child, you should contact Special Education at the nearest elementary school.

Once your child is in Special Education, he/she should receive an Individualized Education Plan or IEP. The plan is created by the school’s special education staff, but must be approved by you, the parent. Be sure to check out what programs are available in your school district that are designed for individuals with Autism. As your child prepares to leave high school, a transition plan should be prepared by the Special Education staff at your child’s school. 

Orange County has a few Private Schools that excel in serving children on the Autism Spectrum

Based on the OCASG Survey of 2018, over 60% of our members attended college.

In Orange County you have a choice of:

  • Community Colleges: Coastline College, Cerritos College, Cypress College, Fullerton College, Golden West College, Irvine Valley College, Orange Coast College, Saddleback College, and Santiago Valley College. 
  • State Colleges: Cal State University Fullerton (CSUF), Cal State University Long Beach (CSULB)
  • State University: University of California, Irvine

Community Colleges offer several paths including: Certifications, Associates degrees and transfers to a four-year college. Most schools have a Disabled Student Programs and Services office who provide early enrollment, counselling, note-taking, class accommodations, tutoring, and more.

Located near Orange Coast College is College Living Experience. CLE provides comprehensive year-round support for students seeking to develop academic, vocational, social and independent living skills. 

State Colleges are the most common four-year program chosen by members of OCASG. CSUF and CSULB both have Disability Support Services and some special programs for those with Autism. In addition, CSULB has the LIFE Project. The LIFE Project (Learning Independence for Empowerment), developed in 2009, is for students with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), Asperger Syndrome, or other social-cognitive deficit. Within this program, students participate in workshops, presentations, and projects as well as participate in interactive games, eat lunch, and socialize.

University of California at Irvine provides a third option for higher education. UCI has a Disability Services Center. The center can help with accommodations, note takers, and other services. 

Orange County has several Private Colleges and Universities. Here are a few of the better-known academic institutions. It is recommended that you research each one and determine whether the programming and support is appropriate for your child.

Watch our video about Collegiate Success view now

Find our Education Playlist on YouTube


2022 Spectrum Speaker Series

The Schedule